Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Step Into Christmas With Me" - November 30, 2008

Winter's officially here, folks (to me, if it snows, its winter,), and to be honest, it feels great! Let's just hope it doesn't decide to over-stay its welcome like it did last year...

This is a great time of year. Really, if you were to ask me, its probably the best time of the year outside of late June / early July. Its the time after Thanksgiving but before Christmas, the magical period of anticipation to one of the finest holidays of the entire year. Its romantic, the kind of time where you just want to take someone you love into downtown Chicago and just admire the sights, no matter how long you're up there or how many times you've passed up the same attraction. Its a season of giving, a time when you just feel the need to put your selfish desires on the shelf and do something generous for people who don't have the means to do for themselves.

I love it, folks. I'm sure that's pretty obvious, really. This is the time where I can actually ENJOY the snow, a time where I won't complain how cold it is (unless its unseasonably cold, which is has been all month). Not to mention, hockey season is now in full swing, NCAA men's basketball begins, BCS standings become more clear, and football heads into its final quarter before the playoffs. The ONLY downside to this is the fact that my #1 sport of Major League Baseball is done for another three months until the World Baseball Classic on March 5 (four months until Opening Day on April 6). Other than that, I have no real complaints.

I'd like to apologize for not having a personal update on myself over the past two months (I didn't live up to my promise of a blog a month, though I'm being rather self-centered; I'm sure none of you actually give two shits about it), regardless, I found some free time, and I want to cover some ground before I end the year with a bang...well, as far as blogs are concerned.

Last time I posted was, when, September 29? Well, amidst the anticipation of the Cubs in the postseason, I'm sure EVERYONE knows how that fucking disaster ended. You never wanted to say it, but at times during the regular season you would quietly say to yourself "You know, this may finally be our year." But its just proof that 97 wins doesn't mean shit in the playoffs, especially when you get swept by a team with 84. So, that ruined my interest in the National League, but in the AL I found extreme interest in the Rays, who sadly couldn't keep their miraculous run going the whole way and lost the World Series to those damned Phillies. I haven't had a World Series go my way until 2004...

October was a solid month, really. Nothing specifically noteworthy occurred, just a fun, relaxing time in life. Lots of events, such as my parents' anniversary, my uncle's and sister's birthdays, and of course, my own birthday. It was nice from my uncle and grandma, got some new XBOX games and a giant, framed Lou Piniella photo (signed, mind you), among other things. From my parents, I got a new Blackhawks hoodie and tickets to see AC/DC, which ended up being one of the best concerts I'd ever seen.

November, as always, was a very solid month, quite possibly one of the best of the year. A very quiet first few weeks, thats for sure, just a couple big events that I'm going to save for my blog at the end of the year. Last weekend, I was lucky enough to head to a memorabilia convention in Rosemont and met Mark Grace, Lou Piniella, Evan Longoria, and Ryan Theriot, all personal favorite baseball figures of mine at one point or another. That was definitely a pleasant experience, no doubt.

This past Thanksgiving weekend was spent with my uncle and grandma. I got a nice pay-day for assisting in putting up decorations and the christmas tree (it sounds easy, but not with these people, trust me). I was also able to get Family Guy Season 5, Rush's new Snakes & Arrows Live DVD, among other smaller things. It was a nice, fulfilling trip. Also went doorbusting on Friday morning, which was absolutely insane, and I was completely worn out by the end of the day. Nevertheless, worth it I'd say.

I have no complaints, and I don't want to say too much because I always like more detail in my wrap-up at the end of the year. All I can say is keep an eye out for it, I'll probably start writing it in a couple weeks, honestly. I don't plan these blogs ahead, this one I plan intensely, because it has to be PERFECT. I know it sounds silly, but being the perfectionist that I am, this has to be the big bang for me, and in order for me to feel fulfillment, this needs to be great. Crazy, I know. But thats just me!

So, until December 31, unless I decide to pull off a filler sometime in between, I bid you all adieu. Farewell!

-Zach

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you may feel that you aren't holding up to your promises or that no one gives a shit about your writing...YOUR WRONG :D I enjoyed this because although I know you prefer summer to winter, which i don't blame you for having winter weather so early, you kept a pleasant attitude throughout. It really felt like I was reading this in a magazine or newspaper, like the article that leads up to all the holiday la-di-das people freak out over (I enjoyed this much better than all those la-di-das, and yes i actually found a way to use la-di-das appropiately haha). Keep up the great work, and I'll keep reading!

:D

Anonymous said...

*you're
*I

damn this flat, close-spaced keys on this keyboard haha.