Monday, October 27, 2008

"Role Models" - October 27, 2008

You talk about a strange surge of inspiration. I was watching The Simpsons on DVD last night as I struggled endlessly to fall asleep. I can't tell you the episode title, all I know is, it's the second or third episode on Season 10, I was too dazed to remember. Anywho, the basis of the episode is, Homer's driving and finds out life expectancy in male's has increased and he's "wasted half his life." VERY funny beginning, I was laughing my ass off albeit half asleep. So Lisa teaches him about Thomas Edison, who he develops this obsession for and talks about non-stop, before Marge suggests he becomes more like Edison instead of talking about him.

What happens next is, he quits his job (saying Marge suggested THAT too) and decides to become a full-time inventor in the basement. He puts up a poster of Edison in front of his desk for inspiration.

Now, what relevance does this hold and why exactly am I so into this? While it is ridiculous that Homer Simpson looks at Thomas Edison, of all people, as a role model, the concept itself and the admiration he shows for the guy is, I guess you can say, charming. The Simpsons in the past have been able to evoke personal emotions in the show (in sometimes hidden ways) that sometimes seem so real, or are so similar to life, you just can't help deny just how real it comes off, and how you can relate to that (see "Lisa the Iconoclast" for a better example).

It makes you think about the role models you've had in your life and what they've meant to you at some point or another. Of course my grandfather was #1 and always will be, but that's been established. I'm talking about the person you threw the poster of up over your bed, over your desk, somewhere that you can see it to garner inspiration. It's a very interesting thing if you think about it. That because a person is so popular and has done tremendous things, you can admire them for it.

So that begs the question, who have I considered role models over the years? Well, one of my first was Eddie Van Halen. Outstanding musician, tremendous guitar player, and his music left an outrageous impact on my life at just the right time. I still reflect on the music today, despite the fact that I don't hold either him or the band in the same regard anymore. Frankly, my admiration stops at a number of dickhead moves, and I hate saying this, but he's probably the only "role model" who over the years has truly let me down. And really, it's a shame.

Musically my role models have changed since then, and have remained more steady. I take more after Sammy Hagar and Mike Anthony (ex-singer and ex-bassist of Van Halen) these days, because they had to tolerate the bullshit of the aforementioned Edward Van Halen for so many years, yet were always able to go out and put on the best damn concert possible. Not to mention, meeting them last year was also a definite positive in their regard. There's also Nikki Sixx, the smart lyricist that made Motley Crue more than just a hair band in the '80s music world, who overcame so much adversity just to try and stay alive, and sure enough, he's still out there kickin' ass. Once again, classy guy in person, definitely a great moment for me. We finally end with my "big two" the last couple years, Neil Peart and Phil Collins. Both drummers, both lyricists (though Neil much more profound than Phil), both members of my two favorite bands, and both passionate about the things they do. Never do anything bad to people who cross their paths (well, except Phil to his ex-wives *rimshot*), just go out there, try and keep the fans happy, and give their all everytime they do something. How can that not be respected?

The two biggest things in my life have always been sports and music. Yes, in that order, so naturally my sports heroes have left a much greater impact on me than my music ones have. My first ever sports idol was Sammy Sosa, I think all of us Chicago sports fans can kinda figure what happened there (*rimshot again* I'm wearing the house drummer out tonight!).

Baseball has been my primary source for heroes, and the first one for a very long time (and still kinda is) would be Ken Griffey Jr. So much fun to watch when he was younger, before he was injury prone for the tail end of his career. His days in Seattle were classic, every single game he played there was exciting. He just kinda faded out, which sadly DOES happen. But he was still my first favorite baseball player and really the first sports figure to hold out longevity as a "role model."

Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken Jr., David Justice, Greg Maddux, Kevin Brown, Tom Glavine, all these guys were some of my favorite players back in the day (well, MY day that is). Even more recently, Josh Hamilton and Ryan Braun have climbed that ladder, for Hamilton's overcoming adversity to put up stellar numbers for a, well...bad team, and Ryan Braun's scrappy playing to carry his team to the postseason.

But naturally, you stay true to your home, because that's what you're most familiar with. When Mark Grace left the Cubs (unwillingly, mind you) after the 2000 season, I studied up on him and Ryne Sandberg more. Being a Cubs fan since '96, it's easy for those two to be overshadowed by the uprising of Sammy Sosa. But these guys were just fascinating, and their numbers were stellar in their careers. They instantly climbed up the ladder for me, and eventually would become my two favorite Cubs of all-time, even though they didn't have far to go, since they were both respectively behind Sammy Sosa. Always had a strong respect for both, just took awhile for that to come into full bloom. And meeting Ryne Sandberg really was the icing on the cake, so pleasant in person and just a nice guy. I'd run into him time and time again at the Cubs Conventions and he'd actually be able to recognize me and greet me as if we've known each other our whole lives. That first happened in 2002, and sealed the deal for me, really. November will be the first time I meet Mark Grace but I assume that to be pleasant as well.

Gracie and Ryno are my two favorite idols of all-time, and the greatest role models I ever had. The jerseys, posters, baseball cards, and autographs really tell that story well enough. And hell, we may have both guys with the team next year. Ryno may coach on the Cubs roster if Sinatro leaves, and Mark Grace may replace Bob Brenley as the team's color analyst if he decides to manage the Milwaukee Brewers. That'd be just awesome if both could be a part of the 2009 campaign, and would really be special for me as a Cubs fan. It's just nice to have two down-to-earth athletes as heroes of your's as you grow up, and be able to meet them and develop seemingly personal relationships with them, as if you've been friends for a long time. It means a lot to a fan like myself.

And this ties back with the end and essentially the Simpsons episode. At the end of the Simpsons episode (after Homer found out Edison had one of his ideas but remained undiscovered, so he decided to destroy it at the Edison museum, but couldn't because he saw Edison's picture of Leonardo Da Vinci and realized the relation between he and Edison). Those posters of our heroes we hoist up in our rooms, we're just admiring someone who's exactly like us, even if we don't know them personally. A person who fought towards a dream, and once they caught up to it, took full advantage of it. A person who had the drive to make the most of themselves, someone who deep down shares the same attitudes towards people and life as we do. It goes beyond the fact that they've accomplished so much. It's the fact that, overtime, they're just like us, we're just blind to realize it.

This blog was awful, haha. Jumpy, thoughts all over. But it's meant to convey a point, and when it goes into my book sometime in 2010, it'll be edited, well...better. But I'm sick, so give me a break. Still, it's a concept I've given some serious thought over the past day and it's really interesting how it all works out. I'll have a blog in a couple days, after my birthday on Wednesday, probably. See y'all then!

-Zach

No comments: