Monday, September 29, 2008

"The Trees Light Up in Flames" - September 29, 2008

Folks, it's that time of year again. The trees begin to change their colors as if God started his own personal bonfire. The weather cools off, the day gets shorter, and in my humble opinion, it's the most romantic time of the year. Of course, with me that tends to go to waste, but whatever (laughs).

Yes, you guessed it. It's autumn, and early autumn is single-handedly one of my favorite times of the year. Everything seems to happen in the fall, and to me it really adds a nice finishing touch on any year, at least in my life. I mean, how can you go wrong? The MLB postseason begins immediately in October, always exciting (even moreso that the Cubs are in it once again), my birthday is on the 29th, my uncle's and sister's birthdays also in the month of October, parents' anniversary (always a nice occasion), the concert year closing out, hockey season begins and football season heats up, Halloween, the ideal fall weather. I can really go on and on and on and...well, you get the picture.

But before we take a look into the future, let's take a look at the past. I have a feeling this post will be one of my shorter ones because frankly, I haven't done much this past month. I have a feeling the majority of it will probably cover things I'm GOING to be doing, rather than things I'd done.

When was my last update, August? Well, school's been annoying. What else is new? My grades are good so I can't really complain, I'm just sick of the grind. Same shit every single day. No real complaints about my teachers, 'cept for Conway but I've never really liked her going back to last year. But like I said, outside of the grind, I'd say I'm in pretty good shape academically.

Let's see, let's see, what else? The Cubs are winning! I know I've done enough blogs on the Cubs recently but shit, I can't get enough of this team. We clinched on the 20th of September, good game against the Cardinals, the rest of the month was basically auditioning for the bullpen spots and the last places on the 25 man postseason roster. We won a couple, including an exciting extra inning game against the Mets at Shea Stadium last week. But for the most part it was resting regulars and brushing up the bullpen role. Not to mention this past month we had Zambrano's no-hitter against Houston and a miracle bottom-ninth, two-out comeback four days later against Milwaukee. Exciting time for the North Siders.

Homecoming week was the 15th to the 20th. It was annoying, only thing I truly participated in was Cubs / Sox day (and felt good to lend my Mark Prior 2003 All Star Game jersey to a friend who needed something Cubs related to wear). Outside of that, I could really care less about the whole school pride thing. In honesty, it's a "what have you done for me lately?" sorta thing. They've screwed me over so many times in so many ways, and I'm expected to show off pride in my school. Yeah, right.

The dance was alright, things could've been better. Nothing bad really happened to me, I was just kinda there, annoying the folks by singing Eddie Vedder's Cubs song "All the Way" obnoxiously to everyone, which was a ton of fun in itself. Had a lot of fun afterward, celebrating the Cubs clinching with some friends and some champagne in the eyes, blinding me the next morning. Then afterwards having a ton of fun online about a certain situation I'm not sure I should mention or not (the person involved knows what I'm talking about, which is all that matters). That was a fun night, I gotta admit.

Love life, haven't covered that in awhile. But what's there to cover? I'm not trying to be negative, there's just nothing there to talk about. Sure I have my interests, sure it's not to the point where I'm comfortable leaving those in the open yet. As of now I'm just kinda rolling with things to see what happens, hoping in the end things will go my way. It's not bringin' me down, so why see it as a negative thing, right?

Alright, now the fun begins, looking forward to arguably the best month of the year (against May and July, respectively). The month starts in an outstanding fashion. My uncle won the Cubs playoff ticket lottery last week and managed to get tickets to Game 1 of the NLDS against the Dodgers for Wednesday, October 1st. Of course he surprised me with that one yesterday, just casually asking "So hey, I won the lottery last week, want to go to Wednesday's game with me?" Uncle Tom, I love ya, but that's a stupid question (laughs). So I'll be there, 5:30 PM at Wrigley Field, Wednesday evening. Keep an eye out for me on TBS, will ya?

Rest of the month? I'm booking my weekends, gonna try and make up for lost plans this past Sunday in upcoming weekends with someone, looking for things to do on the other days. My parents' anniversary is the 10th, always a nice day. Uncle's birthday a week after on the 17th, sister's four days after on the 21st. Somewhere between the 21st and the 29th we'll have a family party where my sister and I get gifts from my grandmother and uncle. Then comes the 29th, my birthday, the greatest day in the history of mankind. Start getting your gifts ready! The 30th is most likely the AC/DC concert at Allstate, and Halloween I'm going to either try and spend with friends or perhaps make trek up to Sean's in Chicago and catch the Blackhawks game that day.

Busy month, eh? My weekends are mostly free though, so make plans if you'd like, I'm open to just about anything these days.

That's about it, actually. Not much more to say. Going to be an exciting month, I can just smell it (maybe that's the beautiful scent of autumn air, I don't know, hard to tell). I don't have much of a conclusion, so fuck it, I'll catch you when it's all said and done!

-Zach

No comments: