Thursday, July 17, 2008

"The Saints Came Marching In" - Cruefest Review, July 16, 2008

It's 95 degrees outside, a mid-summer day, and you're going to see one of the greatest live acts in rock history at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre that day. It really defines what rock n' roll is all about, no? I got the pit tickets as a gift from my folks, and it was a pleasant surprise at the time. But I really didn't have any idea that it was going to be as fantastic as it was.

So, you have the scene. Cortez and I get to the venue at 4:40, twenty minutes before the first band, Trapt came on. I had the time to purchase a T-shirt, then we got our pit wristbands and walked over to the pit itself. We hadn't eaten or had anything to drink yet, but out pit placement was so solid, we decided to just hang around there for the whole night so we didn't lose it.

Trapt came on. I know very little of their music, but fucked if I didn't enjoy it. I figured they put on a very solid performance and was pleasantly surprised. Sixx A.M. was next, Nikki Sixx's band, and one who's music I was more familiar with. They too, put on a very solid performance. I couldn't believe how good of a guitarist DJ Ashba was. He was tearin' it up up there, and also putting up a show and talking to the crowd. James Michael is also a very energetic vocalist on stage. Very solid performance.

Next would be Papa Roach, where beforehand I met two pretty cool fans who won their tickets from 97.9 The Loop. Very cool guys, one wearing a Cubs hat and we talked about the All Star Game. Then Papa Roach came on. Singer looked like a real douchebag but you gotta love the guy's energy. They didn't really do it for me, I just didn't care for the music. Gotta give the band some props, though, they started a mosh pit very close to us, which helped us move MUCH closer to the front than we were. Wasn't much of a pit, really. Anyway, their performance left much to be desired.

"Come on, ya fat bastard, move us to the front!" said a guy who joined the two fans I was talking to. It just so happened it was the seventh grade gym teacher of these guys. How fuckin' cool is that? I simply could not imagine Mr. Huey at a Crue show :D Anyway, before Buckcherry came on, we spent the 45 minutes or so just talkin' music, Crue, etc. I guess this gym teacher wanted to test my taste in music by seeing my other favorite bands. When I told him Rush, Genesis, VH, he asked "Are you gay!? Because this isn't normal for someone your age!" He got a kick out of two 16 year olds nearly front row at a Crue show, and it was nice to get that respect.

Next up was Buckcherry, who puts on a really good live show. Josh Todd didn't associate himself with the crowd much. Seemed like a "Get on, perform, get off" type deal. You can't deny the fact that they brought it live, though. Regardless, it wasn't my most favorite performance of the night. I felt Trapt and Sixx A.M. put on more solid performances. There was also a big ass fight. Some hippie dude tried to but his way up to the front, and some guy nudged him to move and punches started to throw. It was entertaining. Dude was grabbin' at my shorts trying to take me down with him. But, he got taken away. And the nudger was a hero :D

So, Buckcherry walks off, and we have time before the Crue. They did a Rock Band competition on stage and the drummer really blew. It was pretty bad. Anyway, we found loopholes to get closer to the stage, and by the time the Crue game out, we were second row. Got to speak to some more fans, it was really entertaining. Crueheads are best, fuck the rest!

Anyway, after the infamous "Hell's Bells" soundtrack, Crue comes on around 9:20 with that eerie-as-hell intro of their's, followed by rippin' into "Kickstart My Heart." You can already tell the band was ready for tonight's show, as they came out ready and willing to please every single person there. Everyone moving around a lot on stage, and I'll tell you right now, the front-row experience is so different. The pyro was deafening and felt like walking into an oven, the lights were blinding at times, but you know what, I'm not complaining. That's part of the experience. Speaking of lights, for an '80s metal band, these guys had an outrageously cool light show. Nice way to start the show.

Next they'd medley into "Wild Side," and the fireworks intro was similar to their ROAE one from 2006. But from where we were, the smell and sound of it, Christ, it was like the Fourth of July twelve days late! Very solid, driving performance. After that was "Shout at the Devil '97," which to me has always been better than the original. The pyro was awesome here as well, not as intense as ROAE, but definitely pretty cool. Vince would then do his intro, and break into their newest single, "Saints of Los Angeles." I agree with Zach when he says they should lose the pre-recorded bass track in the intro, but definitely solid. Vince's vocals are so much better time time around than when I saw them in '06.

They kicked it old school for the next one. Mick did a very quick guitar solo and ripped into "Live Wire," one of the biggest highlights of the night, I'd say. Very energetic performance on all ends, and Vince gave me a look and smiled when he saw me sing the "Wild, young, runnin' free. A little bit better than it used to be" part. He seemed kinda surprised. Definitely one of the best of the night, bar none. But what can I say? It's fuckin' LIVE WIRE!!

Next was "Sick Love Song," which sounded SO good this time around. Last time I saw it sounded sloppy, this time was slowed down and sounded incredible. Plus, this time it was nice being surrounded by people who know the lyrics, unlike last time when we had two people in our section. Next, Tommy comes out to say hello, takes a drink, all that.

So, it was definitely a shocker when Tommy went looking for the Titty Cam. I was almost sure we weren't gonna get it, but we did, and it was a blast. Chicago (or "Titcago," as he kept calling it) will never disappoint with the titty cam. There were a couple chicks around us who showed off their stuff too, and were quite impressive, I must say. Very fun, did not expect us to get it since Detroit didn't the previous night. And one of the dude's I mentioned earlier had the chick on his shoulders! Lucky fuckin' bastard!

We continue with the music, and they were doing Roll-B for the official video of "Motherfucker of the Year." I got in so many shots on the camera, I HOPE they use the Chicago footage, because then I'd be in the video! Anyway, the performance was sick. Such a powerful, heavy, driving song and they really delivered. Never heard it live until the show, and was impressed.

Jozie then came out as an angel and handed Vince his guitar. She's still got it, she was smokin' in the angel outfit. Nice arse, too :D Following that, would be "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" which was definitely a highlight for a lot of fans there. Lots of headbanging, singing along, and one of the girls near us flashed the guys again! It was awesome. Then they proceeded to do "Same Ol' Situation." I've bashed it before but it's so much fun when you're so close to the stage. Very exciting performance.

It was time for Nikki to do a quick rap to the crowd, and mentioned how Detroit thought they were better than us. So everyone booed, and I got some laughs when I shouted "Fuck Detroit, and their Red Wings!" He really pissed off a lot of people, but then he said Detroit and Chicago were their two favorite places to play, which is always cool to hear. He did his "sit down and jump" routine. Well, it's hard to sit down in the pit, but he told us to "Pretend it's a Bon Jovi concert and sit down." Got a lot of laughs from the crowd on that one. We couldn't sit, but we jumped, and I think I got on film for THAT too!

Anyway, Tommy then broke into "Primal Scream," which I never dug live until last night. Wow, that was solid. Always been my favorite Crue song, but this was unreal. Another serious highlight of the night, with EVERY SINGLE PERSON around us shouting the lyrics. It was awesome! After that, Tommy did a cool intro on the drums, and Vince had us clap and sing "Looks That Kill" behind that beat. Sorta like the "Ten Seconds to Love" breakdown from 2005. Even if these guys hate each other, damned they weren't having fun. It seemed genuine from where I was. Anyway, then Mick broke into the intro for "Looks That Kill," and it's ALWAYS a fun song for the show, regardless. Definitely enjoyable.

Vince did the "hand in the air, make a fist" deal, which I don't recall him doing in '06 at my show. That was a cool intro, and when the motorcycles went off, the crowd went apeshit. They knew it was time for "Girls, Girls, Girls," and I was getting high-fives from everyone around me. It was just awesome. Sounded like it was de-tuned as well, so it sounded much cleaner, I felt. They then medleyed into "Dr. Feelgood," which I felt was a very sloppy transition. But everyone was in awe over how well Mick could shred, considering his condition. He was phenomenal last night.

So, the band walks off, and we wait for the encore. The roadies rolled out a piano and Tommy came out, high fiving Mick and he started playing "Home Sweet Home" on it. Then Mick and eventually Nikki joined him, and Vince started singing, with everyone else singing as well. It was definitely a solid closer, especially with the new arrangement. I was pleasantly surprised, but they made it the perfect closer.

We walked out, I got the girl who was on the Titty Cam to take a picture with me, AND I got her number. How fucking beastly is THAT!? She was great, definitely. Then I said goodbye to the two guys who won the tickets on The Loop and told them it was nice to meet them, likewise for them. So, we let the venue, took the ride home, stopped at McDonald's on the way back for some food since we hadn't eaten all day.

All I gotta say is, wow. The front row experience is like no other. I was able to get good pics, interact with Vince and Tommy, get to see some personal heroes up close. It was truly a phenomenal performance, SO much better than 2006 was. I gave them a C+ on performance in '06, this year they get a solid A. Despite the "greatest hits" setlist, they really delivered, and made me leave a very happy guy with a shit-ton of memories to boot. Outstanding.

If Cruefest comes to town, GO! It's worth it, so much. Even the other bands will entertain you, you'd be surprised. This was a Top 5 show for me, and I've seen about 60 bands and counting. Once again, SO worth it.

Crueheads are best, FUCK THE REST!

-Zach

Setlist:

Kickstart My Heart
Wild Side
Shout at the Devil '97
Saints of Los Angeles
Mick Mars Solo / Live Wire
Sick Love Song
Tommy's "Titty Cam"
Motherfucker of the Year (filmed for video)
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
Same Ol' Situation
Nikki Rap / Primal Scream
Looks That Kill
Girls, Girls, Girls
Dr. Feelgood

---Encore---

Home Sweet Home

No comments: